A Pledge of Allegiance

    Where I'm from, it's traditional to recite our nation's "Pledge of Allegiance" at or near the start of every school day. Being home-schooled, I actually didn't know about this tradition until I started taking Concurrent Enrollment classes at my local high school, and I have since decided that I don't like it very much.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for pride in and loyalty to one's country--but I don't think America's current Pledge does a very good job.
    In case you're unfamiliar, here's how our Pledge goes:
    'I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.'
    This is a nice, one-sentence declaration of loyalty--but to what? I feel like this Pledge is really esoteric, and the way we say it every day at school doesn't fit what I think it's actually saying. I don't think many people really think about these words they say so often, least of all the high-schoolers saying it. This Pledge doesn't feel meaningful to me. It's a ritual that's become meaningless over decades of repetition.

    There's a book I've been reading over the last few months called Braiding Sweetgrass, by Robin Wall Kimmerer. This book is a series of memoirs, a study of ecology, and a fascinating look into Native American culture and beliefs, all in one--and the combination is powerful. Not everything in there aligns with my religious beliefs, but it is really interesting to read the book and compare what I believe with what Kimmerer is saying, noting the similarities and differences. For me, it's been a wonderful way to expand my perspective on the world.
    In this book, Kimmerer devotes a chapter to something called the Thanksgiving Address. No, it's not named after the national holiday; rather it's a sort of prayer, recited every day by children in a particular Native American school, that goes through and methodically thanks every aspect of the world, specifically and by name, for its contributions to our lives. It is quite long and detailed, and it doesn't have to remain the same with every recitation. The Thanksgiving Address, it would seem, is a pledge of allegiance to the world itself, with a bunch of core information that is vital for mankind to remember, but no set rules for how to express that information.
    I love the concept of the Thanksgiving Address, and highly recommend that you find a copy of Braiding Sweetgrass and read more about it for yourself. I haven't yet figured out how to incorporate the Thanksgiving Address into my own life, but it's definitely something I want to keep in mind.

    While I created the rewritten Pledge I want to share today before I even knew Braiding Sweetgrass existed, and I may rewrite it again sometime to include some elements from the idea of a Thanksgiving Address, here it is as I wrote it out nearly two years ago. This Pledge was my sixteen-year-old self's attempt to bring the things that are truly important into the American Pledge of Allegiance, instead of merely reciting a bunch of esoteric concepts that would take an entire class to fully break down and comprehend.
    A couple things to note about this Pledge: first, when I wrote it, I meant it to be a type of binding oath--a pledge to be spoken only with the intent of keeping the promise it contains, and binding, not legally, but spiritually. Second, while in its current incarnation it is geared towards my own country, I think that it could be remodeled and rewritten to fit any country, anywhere. The basic principles and values I built it on apply everywhere, not just to people from one nation.
    So, here it is (edited slightly so it's a bit less clunky than it was before):

    "I pledge allegiance to God, to the Constitution which He revealed to the Founders of the United States of America, and to the God-given rights of the people, which that Constitution protects.
    "I pledge to serve God, uphold the Constitution, and support the causes of justice and liberty.
    "I will defend my fellow citizens against tyranny and battle anarchy with all of my heart, might, mind, and strength.
    "I support the sanctity of life, the family, and the free practice of religion.
    "I uphold the rights to speak freely, bear arms, and possess private property.
    "Let God and man be witness: Should I betray this oath, let the consequences fit the crime."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Matter of Perspective

Three-Act Narrative Structure

Clean Books for Picky Readers, Part 4